D&C/CHURCH HISTORY - LESSON 23
- Introductory Comments.
- 150 Years Ago Today on the Mormon Trail.
- Section 78.
- Historical Background.
- This revelation was given to the Prophet in Hiram, Ohio, in March of
- Joseph continued to reside at the home of John Johnson.
- The work on revision of the Bible continues.
- This was one of four revelations given in March of 1832.
- In the earliest versions of the Doctrine and Covenants fictious names
were used for those to who the revelations were directed.
- More recent versions included the actual names in parentheses. The
current version has eliminated the fictious names.
- Discussion of Section 78.
- V3: "...the time has come, and is now at hand; and behold,
and lo, it must needs be that there be an organization of my people, in
regulating and establishing the affairs of the storehouse for the poor
of my people, both in this place and in the land of Zion--"
- READ V13-14. In establishing this (United) order the Lord is providing
the means for making the church independent of the world.
- WHAT DO THESE VERSES MEAN?
- D&C Commentary: "The purpose of revealing the celestial
order of society was to enable the Church to pass through all trials safely.
God knew that persecutions and sufferings would come. He also knew that
obedience to the law revealed would make the Church independent of enemies."
- READ V3-5. Objectives of the united order.
- ACCORDING TO THESE VERSES, WHAT WERE THE OBJECTIVES OF THE UNITED ORDER?
- To establish and regulate the affairs of the storehouse for the benefit
of the poor (3).
- To advance the cause of salvation and to glorify our Father in Heaven
- To create equality in earthly things for the obtaining of heavenly
- D&C 76:95: "And he makes them equal in power, and in might,
and in dominion."
- HOW DOES EQUALITY IN "EARTHLY THINGS" HELP US OBTAIN "HEAVENLY
- V7: "For if you will that I give unto you a place in the celestial
world, you must prepare yourselves by doing the things which I have commanded
you and required of you."
- V15: "That you may come up unto the crown prepared for you,
and be made rulers over many kingdoms,"
- D&C 88:22: "For he who is not able to abide the law of
a celestial kingdom cannot abide a celestial glory."
- READ V17-19, 22. Great things to be given to the righteous.
- V17,18: The Lord refers to the Saints as little children and then states
that they cannot bear all things now.
- V18,19: The Saints to be blessed with the riches of eternity and the
things of the earth.
- V22: He that is a faithful & wise steward shall inherit all things.
- [See sect 78 historical notes]