D&C/CHURCH HISTORY - LESSON 14
- Section 43.
- This revelation was given to the Prophet Joseph Smith in Kirtland,
Ohio, in February of 1831.
- Who speaks for the Lord.
- READ V2-7. Only he who has been appointed will receive revelations
& commandments for the Church.
- It seems that through the early history of the church there were many
who claimed that they had received divine revelations. This bewildered
many of the new saints & caused confusion within the church. This revelation
was given in response to that situation.
- This revelation was a re-statement of D&C 28:1-7 given in response
to the Hyrum Page situation.
- V2: "...no one shall be appointed to receive commandments and
revelations in this church excepting my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., ..."
- WHAT PROVISION DID THE LORD MAKE TO "APPOINT ANOTHER IN HIS STEAD"?
- WE DON'T HAVE THIS PROBLEM TODAY, DO WE?
- WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF A PERSON OTHER THAN THE PROPHET PROFESSES TO
HAVE HAD A REVELATION FOR THE CHURCH?
- Charge to preach repentance.
- READ V15,16. Sent forth to teach, not be taught. To be taught from
- Duty of the elders:
- Teach, not be taught.
- Teach that which has been put into your hands by the power of the spirit.
- To be taught from on high.
- Sanctify yourselves to be endowed with power from on high.
- WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO SANCTIFY OURSELVES? AND HOW WILL IT HELP YOU TO
SPEAK BOLDLY TO THE WORLD OF THE LORD'S MISSION?
- To be made clean and pure and fit for the service of the Lord.
- READ V20,26-30. Lift up your voices & labor in the vineyard for
the last time before the coming of the Lord.
- WHAT IS OUR CHARGE?
- To lift up our voices and spare not.
- Section 45.
- Revelation given through the Prophet in Kirtland on March 7, 1831.
- Much of Section 45 concerns itself with prophecies leading up to the
Second Coming. Some of it is a reiteration of the prophecies in Matthew
- Discussion of Section 45.
- READ V37-38. Those that watch will see the signs of his coming.
- WHY DOES THE LORD GIVE US SIGNS AND PROPHECIES CONCERNING HIS COMING?
- Read V39
- WHEN IS THE TIME TO PREPARE FOR THE SECOND COMING? (Read V2).
- See v2.
- READ V9-12. The everlasting covenant has been sent into the world
and the wisdom of the city of Enoch can be revealed.
- V26-42 are events that will take place in the latter days.
- V26: Wars/rumors of wars.
- Whole earth to be in commotion.
- Men's hearts to fail them.
- There will be those who teach the Lord delays his coming until the
end of the world.
- V27: Love of men to wax cold.
- Iniquity shall abound.
- V28: The gospel to go forth to the Gentiles.
- V29: They receive it (the gospel) not and turn their hearts to the
precepts of men.
- V31: A desolating sickness shall cover the land.
- V33: Earthquakes and many desolations.
- Men to harden their hearts against the Lord.
- Take up the sword against one another.
- V41:Blood, fire, and vapors of smoke.
- V42:Sun darkened, moon blood, stars fall from heaven.
- V43:Remnant of Israel to be gathered (Jewish Israel).
- V68:Those that do not take up the sword against his neighbor must flee
unto Zion for safety.
- 69: Every nation shall be gathered to Zion
- It will be the only people not at war with one another.
- The coming of the Lord.
- READ V44,45. They shall look for his coming. Those than watch not
for him to be cut off.
- READ V48-50. The condition of the wicked.
- READ V55. Satan to be bound.
- Next Week.
- Lesson 15: D&C 46-50.