D&C/CHURCH HISTORY - LESSON 10
- Introductory Comments.
- Scriptural Highlights.
- Receiving revelation for the Church.
- Events and conditions surrounding the Second Coming.
- The Millennium and events that follow it.
- The Fall and Atonement.
- Section 28.
- Historical Background.
- After the trials at South Bainbridge and Colesville, Joseph returned
- July 1830: With Oliver, Joseph labored on his farm in Harmony.
- In August, Joseph was visited by Newel and Sally Knight.
- It was during Newel's visit that Section 27 was given to the Prophet
regarding the sacrament.
- V2: "...it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall
drink when ye partake of the sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with
an eye single to my glory."
- After the visit of Newel and Sally, the Prophet was visited by Hyrum
and David and John Whitmer. The four prayed, asking the Lord to give them
success in confirming the Church in Colesville.
- As you recall, Joseph was arrested before the confirmation meeting
in Colesville could be held.
- Their pray was answered. As they approached Colesville, they passed
a group of men working on the public road. These men looked at Joseph and
his party without recognizing them, even though some of these men were
some of the most ardent enemies in Broome County.
- Wrote the Prophet: "That evening we assembled the Church, and
confirmed them, partook of the Sacrament, and held a happy meeting, having
much reason to rejoice in the God of our salvation, and sing hosannas to
His holy name." (DHC 1:109)
- The following morning, the brethren returned to Harmony unmolested
by the mob.
- After Oliver had left Harmony for Fayette, Joseph and John Whitmer
began to arrange the revelations for recording.
- During this time Joseph received a letter from Oliver commanding him
in the name of God to erase certain words in one of the revelations.
- Joseph replied to Oliver asking him by what authority he commanded
a revelation or commandment from Almighty God to be altered.
- It became necessary for Joseph to travel to Fayette. After prayer and
reasoning, Joseph was able to convince Oliver, and a few others, that the
words of the revelation were correct. Joseph then returned to Harmony.
- By this time, persecution in Harmony was increasing. Even Joseph's
father-in-law, Isaac Hale, would no longer afford him protection, even
though he had promised to do so. Peter Whitmer once again invited Joseph
to move into his home in Fayette. In August 1830, Newel Knight came to
Harmony and offered Joseph his wagon and horses to Joseph to move them
back to Fayette.
- The Prophet stated after having arrived in Fayette:
- "To our great grief, however, we soon found that Satan had
been lying in wait to deceive, and seeking whom he might devour. Brother
Hiram Page had in his possession a certain stone, by which he had obtained
certain 'revelations' concerning the upbuilding of Zion, the order of the
Church, etc., all of which were entirely at variance with the order of
God's house, as laid down in the New Testament, as well as in our late
revelations." (DHC 1:110)
- The Prophet said that a conference had been called for later in September,
but that the Whitmer family and Oliver Cowdery were believing these things.
He said: "...we thought best to inquire of the Lord concerning
so important a matter;". (DHC 1:110)
- This revelation, Section 28, was directed to Oliver Cowdery.
- Discussion of Section 28.
- READ 28:2-3,7.
- WHAT DOES THE LORD TEACH HERE ABOUT WHO MAY RECEIVE REVELATION FOR
THE ENTIRE CHURCH?
- Only one man appointed to receive revelation for the entire church,
- We are to be obedient to the commandments & revelations of the
- Joseph holds the keys of the mysteries and revelations until another
is appointed in his stead.
- READ 28:4-6. Limitations on personal revelation.
- WHAT LIMITATIONS DOES THE LORD PLACE ON PERSONAL REVELATION?
- When moved upon by the Spirit, one may teach by wisdom, but not by
- One may not command those in higher authority, or the head of the Church.
- The Prophet Joseph Smith: "It is contrary to the economy of
God for any member of the Church . . . to receive instructions for those
in authority, higher than themselves; therefore you will see the impropriety
of giving heed to them; but if any person have a vision or a visitation
from a heavenly messenger, it must be for his own benefit." (DHC
- President Lee: "We have some tight places to go before the
Lord is through with this church and the world in this dispensation, which
is the last dispensation, which shall usher in the coming of the Lord.
. . . "Now the only safety we have as members of this church is to
do exactly what the Lord said to the Church in that day when the Church
was organized. We must learn to give heed to the words and commandments
that the Lord shall give through his prophet, 'as he receiveth them, walking
in all holiness before me: . . . as if from my own mouth, in all patience
and faith.' There will be some things that take patience and faith. You
may not like what comes from the authority of the Church. It may contradict
your political views. It may contradict your social views. It may interfere
with some of your social life. But if you listen to these things, as if
from the mouth of the Lord himself, with patience and faith, the promise
is that 'the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the
Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause
the heavens to shake for your good, and his name's glory. . . .' "Your
safety and ours depends upon whether or not we follow the ones whom the
Lord has placed to preside over his church. He knows whom he wants to preside
over this church, and he will make no mistake. . . . Let's keep our eye
on the President of the Church." (Conference Report, October 1970)
- President Lee also said: "That person is not truly converted
until he sees the power of God resting upon the leaders of this Church,
and until it goes down into his heart like fire." (Ensign, July
- READ 28:11-12.
- WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM HOW THE LORD INSTRUCTED OLIVER COWDERY TO DEAL
WITH HIRAM PAGE?
- He was to discuss this matter privately with Hyrum Page.
- He was to explain the truth, no beating around the bush.
- Section 29.
- Historical Background.
- Sometime prior to the second conference of the Church in September
1830, the following revelation was given through the Prophet Joseph Smith
in the presence of six Elders.
- Discussion of Section 29.
- Called to gather the elect.
- READ V4,7-8. Called to gather the elect.
- WHO IS CALLED TO DECLARE THE GOSPEL & GATHER THE ELECT?
- Specifically, the Prophet Joseph Smith. We can logically extend that
to any who raise their hands to sustain the Prophet and his successors.
- To prepare the hearts of the 'elect' and to "be prepared
in all things against the day when tribulation and desolation are sent
upon the wicked." (8)
- Joseph Smith: "The main object [of gathering] was to build
unto the Lord a house whereby He could reveal unto His people the ordinances
of His house and the glories of His kingdom, and teach the people the way
of salvation; for there are certain ordinances and principles that, when
they are taught and practiced, must be done in a place or house built for
that purpose. "It was the design of the councils of heaven before
the world was, that the principles and laws of the priesthood should be
predicated upon the gathering of the people in every age of the world....
"It is for the same purpose that God gathers together His people in
the last days, to build unto the Lord a house to prepare them for the ordinances
and endowments, washings and anointings, etc." (DHC 5:423-424)
- WHAT IS THIS DAY "WHEN TRIBULATION & DESOLATION ARE SENT FORTH
UPON THE WICKED"?
- Events that precede the 2nd Coming.
- HOW URGENT IS OUR NEED TO DO THIS?
- READ V9-10 & 33:3.
- ARE WE AS A PEOPLE & INDIVIDUALLY FULFILLING THIS COMMISSION?
- In an interview in May 1995, President Hinckley was asked the following
question: "For many churches in America, declining membership is the
crisis to be reckoned with. It's just the opposite, it seems, for the Mormon
church. There is explosive growth within the Church. Is that one of the
main things you have to deal with now, managing that growth."
- President Hinckley's response: "Growth is a serious problem
for us, of course. But it is a wonderful problem. What a wonderful thing,
to be growing, to be vital and alive and moving forward. And that's what
is happening now. That entails many problems--acquisition of land, building
of chapels, building of temples, all of these things. But it is a wonderful
problem to face, really, when all is said and done." (Go Forward
With Faith, p.576)
- As a Church we are doing much, but how are we doing individually in
sharing the gospel and letting our light shine? Are we doing all that we
- READ V11. THE LORD PROCLAIMS HIS SECOND COMING.
- See Supplementary Notes for Section 29 - The Last Days and the Second
- The Lord lists in this section plagues & disasters preceding his
- V17: "And it shall come to pass, because of the wickedness
of the world, that I will take vengeance upon the wicked, for they
will not repent; for the cup of mine indignation is full; for behold, my
blood shall not cleanse them if they hear me not."
- V14: Sun darkened, moon turned to blood, stars fall from heaven, and
greater signs in heaven above and the earth beneath.
- V15: Weeping & wailing among the hosts of man.
- V16: A great hailstorm to destroy the crops of the earth.
- V18: Send forth flies which shall eat the flesh of man & cause
maggots to come upon them.
- V19: Tongues shall be stayed, flesh shall fall from their bones, and
eyes from their sockets.
- V20: Beasts of the forest & fowls of the air shall devour them.
- V21: The great & abominable church shall be cast down by devouring
- THESE VERSES ARE DIRECTED AT THE WICKED. HOW MIGHT CHURCH MEMBERS BE
NUMBERED AMONG THE WICKED?
- D&C 112:24-26: "Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon
the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of
desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind
it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord. And upon
my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith
the Lord; First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed
to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in
the midst of my house, saith the Lord."
- D&C 97:25-26: "Nevertheless, Zion shall escape if she observe
to do all things whatsoever I have commanded her. But if she observe not
to do whatsoever I have commanded her, I will visit her according to all
her works, with sore affliction, with pestilence, with plague, with sword,
with vengeance, with devouring fire."
- Wilford Woodruff: "It matters not what the minds and feelings
of men are, the Lord is determined to raise up a people that will worship
Him; and if He has to whip, and scourge, and drive us through a whole generation,
He will chastise us until we are willing to submit to righteousness and
truth, or until we are like clay in the hands of the potter. The chastisements
we have had from time to time have been for our good, and are essential
to learn wisdom, and carry us through a school of experience we never could
have passed through without. I hope, then, that we may learn from the experience
we have had to be faithful, and humble, and be passive in the hands of
God, and do His commandments." (JD 2:198)
- Wilford Woodruff: "Zion is not going to be moved out of her
place. The Lord will plead with her strong ones, and if she sins he will
chastise her until she is purified before the Lord. I do not pretend to
tell how much sorrow you or I are going to meet with before the coming
of the Son of Man. That will depend upon our conduct." (Millennial
- WHAT DOES THE LORD PROMISE THE RIGHTEOUS?
- "Zion shall escape if she observe to do all things whatsoever
I have commanded her". (D&C 97:25)
- John Taylor: "It behooves us, as the Saints of God, to stand
firm and faithful in the observance of His laws, that we may be worthy
of his preserving care and blessing." (JD 21:100)
- HOW DO WE PREPARE OURSELVES FOR THE SECOND COMING?
- Delbert E. Stapley: "Let us be sure we thoroughly understand
the most important things we can do to prepare ourselves for our Lord's
second coming. . . . ". . . We must set our lives and homes in order.
This means a searching of our souls, an admittance of wrongdoing, and repentance
where needed. It means keeping all of God's commandments. It means loving
our neighbor. It means living an exemplary life. It means being good husbands
and wives. It means teaching and training our children in the ways of righteousness.
It means being honest in all our doings, in business and at home. It means
spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ to all the peoples of the world. .
. "There is urgency in his work. Time is getting short."
- READ V34. All things are spiritual.
- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
- READ V35, 39. Men are agents unto themselves.
- WHAT DOES THE LORD MEAN WHEN HE SAYS HIS CHILDREN MUST BE AGENTS UNTO
- "If they never should have bitter they could not know the sweet".
- WHAT IS SATAN'S ROLE IN THIS PLAN?
- Man must be enticed and given a choice. He cannot know the good without
- WHAT HAPPENS TO US WHEN WE YIELD TO TEMPTATION?
- See v40-41: We become subject to the will of the devil.
- READ V43-45. The final state of the wicked.
- Next Week.
- Lesson 11: D&C 30-36.